Lots of experimentation with the press. Every print is a learning experience at this point, and it is so much fun. The leopard is silver and went through the press many times. In fact, it seemed like a failed experiment until the very last layer. The bottom image is my mom. I made it by inking the whole plate and using turpenoid to subtract the areas of the figure. This print led to the top two. This is an image of my friend Ursula's grandmother, who travelled with and performed in the circus. All are monotypes, as are the sea and landscapes below.
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Lots of progress with the ink handling! These are all monotypes (the plate is blank except for the ink) made using a 9"x14" plexi plate. The top print was the first, and it almost did not happen. I had inked the sky intending to make a sunrise mountain landscape. Once I put on the orange color for the mountains, it became clear the image would not work. I almost scrapped the whole thing but decided not to waste all that ink. Using a brayer, I mixed the blue ank orange ink until it was smooth. This suggested a refinery image I painted a while back. After several other good ideas turned into mistakes turned into discoveries, this silver tank appeared. All four prints were run through the press twice, the second pass mostly used to add darker color and detail.